The word travel conjures up images of stretches and stretches of exotic beaches and clear emerald waters for most if not all people. But travel is much, much more than that for any seasoned traveler worth his or her salt. Travel is an immersive experience to be savored moment by moment.
As with everything else in life, travel too has its share of bad moments, moments that may sour the entire experience, just like how a drop of lime juice spoils the milk!
To ensure that your travel is smooth as silk one needs to be first of all aware of things that may go wrong and be prepared to circumvent them.
Here are some travel safety measures to ensure you travel safe and return back with precious memories that will stay with you for a lifetime.
Research before you leave
- Make sure that you know as much of the place you are visiting as possible before you reach there, especially places that may be prone to risks and for which your Government may have issued a travel advisory to exercise caution
- Check the restrictions the country has for certain things that you can carry along with you
- A wealth of information is available on the internet and you could also check with the appropriate embassies to get first hand information
When you are there
- Make sure to carry the contact details of your embassy on your person all the time, just in case you are caught in a panic situation
- Avoid carrying too much of hard cash and instead rely more on plastic money
- Do not invite disaster by carrying excessive valuables like jewellery, etc.
- Avoid using desolate ATM’s especially during night times
- As far as possible minimize night travel
- If you are traveling solo and want to hitch hike and you know that the area is unsafe, try and avoid it
Some other Do’s and Don’ts to stay safe
- Be always alert and aware of your surroundings, immediately leave a place if you sense some disturbance happening
- Do not accept food or drinks from strangers, you never know what is in store for you
- If traveling with kids ensure that they are never far from you and also teach them not to accept anything offered by strangers
- Stay healthy while traveling and get the required vaccination
- Carry essential medicines and first aid kit
- Stay connected with family and friends on the go
- Know and keep handy the emergency numbers of the place that you are in like police station, hospital, hotel
- Carry maps or keep GPS handy
- Familiarize yourself with the exit routes of the hotel you are staying in as well as any places that you would be visiting
- Familiarize yourself with the basic statutory rules and regulations of the place and ensure that you comply with it
- Ensure all your luggage is properly labelled and locked and do not leave them unattended in public places like airports, Train and Bus terminii, etc.
Travel Safety and its awareness is a must when you are traveling. However, do not get unnecessarily bogged down by it and become paranoid. Realize that taking safety precautions is not an end in itself, it is only a means to ensure that your travel goes off like a song. So build the aspect of safety into your system so that it is integrated seamlessly into your travel.
We recommend that you check out the following:
Chris Backe’s 26 Safety Tips While Traveling
Danielle’s Travel tips for Solo Women Travelers
Once that is done, go out and enjoy the world, there are innumerable experiences waiting for you.
Here’s wishing you all a safe travel!
Was this article useful? Do you want to add anything else to the travel safety tips? Do let us know through our comments section.
You might be interested in reading our other Travel Tips articles. Click on the below links to read the articles:
Top 20 Travel Tips For a Family Vacation
Top Things to Pack in Your Travel Health Kit
Top 5 Tips for planning a perfect Family Trip
A Packing List to Send All Your Travel Woes Packing
7 Tips to Keep Oneself Fit and Healthy While Traveling
6 Survival secrets of a Vegetarian Traveler
Get MORE Visitors/Traffic To Your Website!
[pinit color=”red” size=”large” rectangular=”rectangular”]
Add to Flipboard Magazine.