The sky was filled with a golden halo, the waves shone with the radiance of burning embers, the sun emerged from the sea like a huge incandescent Orange.
My wife stood in silhouette against this spectacular backdrop in a classic yogic posture. I knelt down in the sand and then stretched full length on my back armed with my camera, to take that perfect shot.
My wife smiled for the camera in a way I envied as I pressed the shutter-release button.
I looked at the camera as realization slowly dawned on me. There was no battery in the camera! I had removed the battery and had kept it for charging. The battery must now have had its full quota of energy and probably dozing off with the charger in my bedroom at home, a thousand miles away!
To cut a long story short, I had forgotten to pack the charger and also had forgotten to replace the charged battery in the camera.
My wife gave me a look that could kill as I fleetingly wondered about that smile for the camera.
That moment we (or should I say I!) learnt our lessons. This was an experience few years ago when we just started traveling together! To avoid such moments we now have a comprehensive packing list or check list which will ensure that we embark on our travel (with or without family) without the risk of forgetting something which was absolutely essential.
A Packing List to Send All Your Travel Woes Packing
So here is our Packing list, it may not be comprehensive and may vary based on individual needs, but it works for us. Also like everything else in the world, this too needs constant review and updating.
Do not even dare to step out of the house without these
- Passport/Visa and any other travel permits of the entire family
- Travel tickets
- Foreign exchange
- Photographs of each family member
- Tickets of pre-booked activities
- Print outs of Air tickets, Train tickets, Hotels/Accommodation
- Copy of the tour itinerary
- Contact details of friends and or embassies of your country if travelling abroad
TIP: Keep copies of all the important documents and keep these in a separate bag from the originals and also keep scanned copies on cloud
Clothes & Accessories
Research on the weather conditions at the place where you are off to; to finalize your packing list under this section based on this and the activities that you have planned out.
- Casual and Formal wear (formals in case you are combining business with pleasure)
- Comfortable footwear based on your activities
- Sufficient pair of socks
- Glasses/ Spectacles / Contact lens
- Plenty of Handkerchiefs and/or hand napkins
- A light blanket/Shawl/Stole
- Sweaters/Jackets for cold weather
- Headgear, depending on the weather – Cap/Hat
- Pouch to carry money, cards and camera
- Sleep mask/Ear plugs/Headphones
- Swimsuit/Beachwear depending on requirement
Toiletries & Cosmetics
- Dental Care accessories
- Soaps, Shampoos and Conditioners
- Hair oil or Gel
- Comb/Hair brush
- Body lotion/Sunscreen
- Mens’ shaving accessories
- Ladies’ makeup and accessories
- Hand Sanitizer
TIP: Be careful about the restrictions on hand baggage on flights and pack any liquid items so as to comply with these
Electronics & Allied Accessories
These have become an integral part now and the list of items here keeps increasing by the day.
- Cameras, memory cards, batteries, chargers, tripods, Selfie sticks and all other accessories
- Mobile phones with relevant cards and chargers
- International sim (if traveling to another country)
- Data cards
- Pen drive (USB Flash drive) / Hard drive to transfer data/photos
- Universal Electrical adapter
- Cash & Credit cards
- Light dry snacks like chocolates or dry fruits
- Water bottle/Sipper
- Essential medicines with prescriptions
- Writing instruments and notepads/ travel journal pad
- A few spare paper bags for easy dispose of trash
- International driving license
- GPS device
- Tote bag
- Baby/Kids clothes
- Wipes/Tissues/Hand towels
- Kids essential medicines
- Toys/ Kid’s favorite video game/Books/ipod
- Extra dresses
We use the above packing list as our check list. This is what we follow religiously and have found it useful. How do you organize your packing for travels? Do let us know through our comments section.
You might be interested in reading our other Travel Tips articles. Click on the below links to read the articles:
Top 20 Travel Tips For a Family Vacation
Top Things to Pack in Your Travel Health Kit
Top 5 Tips for planning a perfect Family Trip
7 Tips to Keep Oneself Fit and Healthy While Traveling
6 Survival secrets of a Vegetarian Traveler
Here are a few posts that we recommend: